PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC 'Maintain present heading' instruction
Old 22nd Feb 2005, 10:42
Guy D'ageradar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll keep this quick since I'm on a break at work.

1. Ferris, in the climbthrough you just mentioned, the level change takes place between FL220 and FL 240, therefore, wind speeds at FL 380 are irrelevant.

2. Fact. Pilots are on own Nav have been known to "deviate" the odd mile or so around weather etc. without mentioning it.

3. Fact. Pilots are required to advise any deviation from an assigned heading.

4. Fact. Pilots are required to advise a rate of climb below a pre determined level, according "local" AIP - often 1000fpm.

I have to say that in my experience, pilots are much more likely to advise a change of assigned heading than a small deviation while on own nav. Let's face it, they're not really stupid and don't tend to have a death wish so most recognize that if we assign headings, it's for a reason.

You seem very keen to quote extreme examples of winds etc. and to assume that, knowing of the existence of such winds, we would all choose to ignore them when allocating headings. We're not all stupid either. It's not too difficult to apply a rate of climb or a slightly different heading to acheive the desired result. Going by previous posts, I think I am correct in saying that most of those here in most normal situations would use a heading to do so. To make no allowances in extreme situations would be nothing short of reckless.

Have a pint of black for me next time you're in Dubliners. Cheers