PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The great IR debate
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2005, 04:52
Hedski

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blithe, I don't usually quote myself but:

I know of one person who did FAA IR and FAA IRI (CFII) and still decided to do the entire JAA course as he needed to. Also another who had been using his FAA IR on twin but required significantly more than anticipated to pass JAA test.
Having an FAA IR cuts the minimum training to 15 hours, some of which must be in twin so wheres this wonderful saving? My first 40 hours were done for less than the cost of going to US for 4 weeks and getting an FAA IR. I completed my total course for STG 21.5k +VAT including all test fees. FAA IR and the multi part would have cost more, and thats if I managed to get to the JAA standard in the minimum, which recently several excellent piots with a lot more experience have failed to do as mentioned above! Everyone assumes that having another IR will automatically bring your training required to the min, rarely the case.

Why do the FAA allow you to learn in machines that don't have SAS/Autopilot? If you are going to fly IR then you must be trained in such abilities.

And I agree totally with R'bee, passing the IR is a licence to learn, not go off on your own straight away in an onshore twin. People have died that way. This was the first thing said to me by my examiner after being told I passed. Not sure where these JAA IR accidents are though? Not heard of many recently.

All IMHO.