PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The great IR debate
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2005, 19:50
Rotorbee

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Yes ... sigh
It is not possible to compare the to worlds just based on the requirements of the training. In the FAA world, you will NOT get a job on an IR-ship with 200 hours. No way, because almost all IR helos will fly for a 135 operation and there are a lot of requirements in that part of the FAR's. For example, you need 500 h minimum. And there is the FOM and so on.
The JAA world still fails to show that they have a signifficant lower accident rate in IFR operations. Some contries don't even have statistics anymore - but still accidents. I wonder why.

The FAA has a rulemaking philosophy that is different from the european one. And without knowing that, you can not compare the two. "On the job training" is more important in the FAA world. First you learn the basics and then you go out in the field and learn. Every examiner I had always told me after passing the test that now I can begin to learn.
Leave the FAA alone, they are way more friendly and helpfull than anybody in europe I met and I think they do a lot better job then any rulemaking body over here.