PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737NG vs 737Classic
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2005, 16:20
bear11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dunno about you, but if I was in the position I'd take the classic (ie; 3/4/500 EFIS) rating as the 500 relevant typed jet hours are precious in terms of looking for other work. If you get a job as an NG driver you can always do a differences course - you know the job will pay for it. Many airlines have a TRTO and can do the differences course as a bond or at cost price. Don't expect it to be cheap, though - you know what aviation is like! I reckon 1 week and 7 grand Euro would do it, although if other people have reliable figures then let's see them.

There is no reason for Eagle Jet to give half the line hours on NG, other than greed - or maybe it's harder to place NG pilots for line training as there are 3 times more EFIS aircraft around the world, and maybe they can't cut the same deal. Don't be fooled by the lack of EFIS aircraft in Sweden! Generally, there is no industry difference in pay between an EFIS and an NG driver - the most any airline who has both can do is ask for a bond for the training cost if converting their own pilots when swopping to the newer fleet.

There's no demand for -200 ratings any more as the EFIS is a full type rating away rather than a differences course.

One other point similar to that of Scroggs - what's your target market in terms of where and what do you want to fly? Many people are choosing A320 now as most of the new LC carriers in Asia have all gone with the A320, plus there is a differences course to A330, A340, etc, which keeps down the cost of retraining.

The choice is yours - hope that's of some help.