PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dynamics Concept - Modification to Intermeshing Rotors
Old 21st Feb 2005, 15:05
slowrotor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
configuration

Dave,
I wonder about your preference for intermesh. Why not coaxial?
The coaxial should not have blade strike possibility provided the separation is enough.
I would be concerned with gear mesh failure in a syncropter. Probably unlikely, but hard to get past.
For my designs I plan to use something other than gears, like belts, that would allow some slip.

I got a toy coaxial helo from Safeway. Paid one dollar! It was a return and required some tape repairs. Had it flying in 30 minutes. I was amazed because the thing would hover hands off. It has teetering coaxial rotors and is quite stable.
Does not go forward more than a crawl. No cyclic, has a rear rotor to tilt the disc and differential speed control of rotors for yaw turns.
The copter, its called Blade Runner, is usually $60 with radio complete at Safeway and othe places (just stocked at Safeway for Christmas). Made in Canada I think.

But the coaxial and intermesh both suffer from the fact that both rotors are operating with the same air , so the air must be accelerated to a higher degree than a singe rotor and therefor is less efficient in flight, not sure about autorotation.

But that little toy copter got me thinking, the coaxial shafting seemed pretty simple.