PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - London City Airport
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2005, 18:07
WHBM

Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts
Although LCY does not seem to have a strong local supporter's base on this forum
There are actually quite a few of us !

It doesn't really make much sense to base at LCY, notwithstanding the good business there. That's because the commercial demand from provincial points starts earlier in the morning than from LCY so it makes sense for domestic aircraft diagrams to start/finish their day at the other end of the route. It's more apparent from Continental Europe with the one hour time difference. So even VLM, the No 1 operator here, doesn't base aircraft here. Only Scot overnight one aircraft, of 3 used on their Edinburgh shuttle.

LCY has a disappointingly high proportion of routes that just don't work out. Disappointing for me that we are losing yet again a Dusseldorf route (VLM to Monchengladbach went about 18 months ago). Domestically Cardiff, Glasgow, Sheffield, Belfast City and others have all gone in recent times. I went up to Leeds last month on BMI on a business hours day return. About a dozen pax each way, probably well under break-even.

The DLR (which I'm a regular user of) won't offer much benefit apart from a PERCEPTION of being connected. The best way from this part of London into the centre is by the Jubilee Line, changing from the DLR at Canning Town. There's already an LCY shuttle bus that does this run to Canning Town direct, over uncongested roads. Going into The City from Royal Albert (the station you can see across the dock from the LCY lounge) always feels like a lot of stops and time, and it puts you off at unconnected Tower Gateway terminus, apparently because the DLR Bank terminus is at capacity for trains, so Tower Gateway presumably is where the LCY trains will have to go too.

(Edited - typo)

Last edited by WHBM; 21st Feb 2005 at 12:52.