PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC 175
Thread: EC 175
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2005, 14:47
NickLappos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My guess is that this spins on the statement made by EC about a year ago that there might be a civil version of the NH-90. This was in response to the relative success of the S-92 against the Super Puma, where the new safety features and Part 29 certification made a real dent in customer's minds. I hear that sales of the 225 and the older 332 family have been quite disappointing.

The NH-90 could be the basis of a reasonable 10 ton helo, just under the EC-225, and it would have to be fully certified, giving the opportunity to get it to meet the latest regs, thus leveling the field against the 92.

The cost to develop a brand new set of transmissions and rotors is prohibitive, so the re-use of the NH-90 systems is a neat idea. Although the civil cert of the NH-90 rotors and transmissions is not very cheap, it is probably less than half the cost of starting anew, so the price of the new helo could be kept down.
My guess is that it will have more volume than the 225, and have a close varient of the NH-90's dynamics.