PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GAPAN Scholarships (J N Somers & others) 2004/2005/2206
Old 19th Feb 2005, 20:46
Mr Magoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Griff, I was awarded a GAPAN FI(R) scholarship a few years ago.

I'd advise that you need to be interested in instructing as a reasonably long term goal and NOT as a means of hour building towards an airline job. I was 39 when I applied, had a frozen ATPL and was looking at airline flying but made clear in the interview that, if I was offered a scholarship, would put 100% effort into my teaching.

I'm now IR instructing and the scholarship has taken me from a fairly raw 450 hour fATPL to a 1300 hour IR instructor who's learned a hell of a lot in two and a half years.

My tips are to:

Look at yourself honestly and decide if you deserve the gift, (ie DON'T apply for the scholarship if you're going to abuse it by hour building with no regard to providing a service to your students)

Be honest in the interview - I said that my ultimate aim was to fly for the airlines but stressed that, while instructing, I'd give 100% to the job.

You'll be asked for a 10 minute presentation - make it interesting and, if the three people on the interview panel learn something from it, you're almost home and dry. TIP - avoid trying to teach them any flying related topic, they're bound to know more than you and will dig and dig 'till you're hung out like a kipper!

To sum up if you're offered a scholarship realise what a gift you've been given and don't squander it. Good luck to all who apply.

(ps it's a HELL of a feeling when you meet people in the airfield bar that you've taught to fly and are going on to either enjoy the PPL or have just passed an IR - makes me come over all proud like!)

Magoo