PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oxford and CTC
Thread: Oxford and CTC
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2005, 19:24
R T Jones

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Oxford and CTC

Now please before any flaming and saying that oxford selection is all about the size of your wallet please wait!

I don’t know if any of you would agree or have similar views but on reading through the Oxford selection for the APP course I did notice similarities to the CTC selection. First stage is the application, second is aptitude tests, third is group exercises and interview and both finish with a simulator check ride.

Now if you believe what is written on the oxford website it says only 1 in 4 of the people that apply is selected for the APP programme. Anyone have any idea what the ratio for CTC is? I've heard a figure as low as 2% who apply make it all the way.

Both FTO's include 8-10 months away doing basic training with Oxford in Phoenix and CTC in NZ where I believe both ATPL theory and basic flying are completed.

CTC requires a bond of £60,000 and Oxford is £55,000, but of course with living costs etc you will probably pay a bit more for Oxford.

The difference comes with jobs at the end. With CTC the majority of cadets will have airlines to go to on completion of training and Oxford you don’t, however from what I’ve read on the Oxford website the APP programme seems quite good at placing cadets with airlines. It seems to me that the only difference between them is the airline involvement is much earlier in the CTC scheme than Oxford.

Hope this is food for thought and any feedback on my ideas here is defiantly welcome

Last edited by R T Jones; 19th Feb 2005 at 19:42.