PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VulcanXA897 Crash LAP
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2005, 17:25
Padhist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VulcanXA897 Crash LAP

Vulcan XA.897 London Airport crash. 1st October, 1956
I am well aware that a lot of water has passed beneath the bridge since the above accident and perhaps for some it is not worth raking over the ashes. However, for me I have never really been able to free my mind of it. Just to remind you, this was the accident when, at London Airport, XA 897 was returning from good will mission to the far east, in addition to the Squadron Leader Captain was, Air Marshal Sir Harry Broadhurst. A VIP reception was awaiting them.The weather conditions necessitated a GCA Approach.

I obtained a copy of the Ministry of Transport and Civil Aviation Report by Dr.A.G.Touch. But, as I expected it was a complete travesty and an indication of how we are hoodwinked by these investigatons. The terms of reference were such that the only aspects that could be investigated were those applicable to the GCA controls. Evidence obtained from the RAF Court of Enquiry was explicitly avoided. The latter was secret.

Now, it must be remembered, that four back seat members perished in this accident and if one looks at the record of this approach, at no time was the aircraft on a stable instrument approach path, to penetrate cloud down to 300ft to a successful landing. I would find it difficult to lay the blame with the controllers since, as I understand it, normal instrument landings were taking place all the time. I would think the problem lay in the relationship between the Captain and Sir Harry Broadhurst and the desire to arrive at the VIP reception at all costs. They probably had not flown in low cloud conditions for some time and should at least have gone round again or diverted.

I had hoped that now we have the FREEDOM of INFORMATION ACT I could have obtained a copy of the RAF Court of Enquiry and having applied for this I find it costs £10 to make a search and then £132 for the copy. At that price for me it must remain a secret. Perhaps that is better for all.