PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dynamics Concept - Modification to Intermeshing Rotors
Old 19th Feb 2005, 15:50
slowrotor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cran is quite right about patents. Look at the Wright brothers, they wasted many years over the wing twist patent while others such as Curtis simply invented ailerons. Trying to maintain a monopoly, and a patent is simply a government sanctioned monopoly, is a waste of time and money in my opinion.
I think Dave's open sharing has merit. The complex nature of his goal benefits frome others that have constructive criticism.

Dave, I have a primal distrust of the intermeshing configuration and so it is hard for me to look at the advantages. One thing I was thinking about this week is how dangerous a helo really is in a hover at 50ft. I came to the realization that the primary problem is the downwash. A hovering helo is in self induced downdraft, so when the engine quits there is really nothing that can be done other than fall like a rock. The solution might be to direct the downwash at an angle other than vertical down.
Your intermesher might do that, and that would be an advantage.
Does the Kmax logging helo have any advantage in a low level power loss because of the intermesh?
Slowrotor