PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Greek Start-up Alexandair
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2005, 10:49
barry lloyd

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Kaluim Chloride:

Check where their head office really is. It may operate out of Greece/Athens, but the money came from Cyprus, and the owners are Cypriot. At the time they wanted to set up, there was fierce resistance in Athens, not least by Olympic, but by Aegean too. I was there at the time, and whilst not directly involved in it, was privvy to much of what was going on, and it revolved principally around the fact that the owners were not seen to be Greek. Of course with Greece being an EU member, and Cyprus about to become one at that time, there was little the Greek government could do to prevent it, much as they wanted to protect Olympic.

Locust:

Where I come from is clearly stated in my post, but I have just spent four years working in Greece, so I feel qualified to know a little about the country. Yes, there are glittering gin palaces in the marinas at Glyfada and Vouliagmenis, to name but two, but that doesn't mean everyone in Greece is a millionaire. Many of the yachts are owned by wealthy foreigners, particularly from the Middle East.
Go outside Athens a little, and you will see subsistence farming, and many other people in manual jobs who can just about exist on their salaries. The country's economy is based on agriculture and tourism - hardly a recipe for making fortunes for the average worker.
On what, precisely, do you base your comment?