PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Zero to Forty Five - my PPL Diary
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2005, 07:39
Bob Stinger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This might help us all get back to the thread.
Flew last Wednesday did a few flapless landings with my instructor , then he hopped out and i went and did five of my own , plus one go around. I was told to continue approach and could see the reason why there was one of the airport cars driving down 28, i kept it coming but with the extra speed due to lack of flaps , it seemed as though i would catch him up so i called the go around.
Between my first and second flight we were forced to hold on 28 after landing whilst a banner tower tried to drop the banner after a few goes it coudnt , so we moved back to the apron and it landed on the runway still dragging the banner followed by all the fire engines!
Thursday was my first Nav Blackpool-Kirby Lonsdale-Arnside viaduct-Blackpool i had previously had a days groundschool with Tony one of my instructors it left me feeling pretty confident ,which he told me could be a big mistake.
Took of on 31 set climb at 65knts and then set heading 025 ,got to my first feature which is where it should have been and on time, levelled of at 2500 back to 90 knts and tried to hold height and heading , as Tony put it ,if you have got time to think how nice it is , theres something else you should be doing.
Arrived over the Lune and was a bit suprised i had a feeling i might have been on the wrong bend but wasnt 100% sure,the timings were correct so i flew on looked out of the right window, bugger me somebody had moved the M6 it was on the wrong side, i called Tonys attention to this fact and i felt pretty gutted he said to find Kirby Lonsdale from here so i had a look at the map made a turn and went pretty much straight to it and still arrived on time!
My heading to arnside was spot on and we flew directly over the middle of the viaduct , so after my earlier error this felt much better.
Time to turn towards home i set my heading and arrived over Heysham nuclear power station a minute early and slightly to the right of it. Continuing across the bay it was obvious that yet again my heading was out and that i needed to be further left so i corrected for this and reached the point 3 minutes early, i was a bit miffed and wondered what i had done differently whilst working out the three headings.
For the first time we did an overhead join followed by three glide approaches they were all pretty good landings as Tony said a good landing is when you hear the wheels just start to rub on the runway.
Well it was in to the classroom to work out where i went wrong, lines were redrawn , tracks measured the wind calculations done , variation added and guess what we both had the same figures and they were the same as the ones on my plog.
Tony checked with the tower for the windspeed and direction it was the same as the 214 form we had used and he said that it was obviously stonger than forecast , but at least i had spotted an error , told him and then done something about it. Up again Monday steep turns, pfls and then in the a'noon Blackpool-Wigan-Clitheroe-Blackpool hope it all goes well.

Last edited by Bob Stinger; 19th Feb 2005 at 13:00.