PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Racing to the bottom.
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2005, 06:01
Andu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Icarus is trying to say, dd, is that your arguments might carry more weight if you were to make use of your computer's spell checker before hitting the 'send' button. I know the marks you got in English Expression have absolutely no bearing on how you fly an aeroplane, but the fact remains, if you’re claiming ‘professional’ status, correct spelling does aid your argument, if not in all, then certainly in many people’s eyes.

I’m afraid I’m here to kick you while you’re down. You say
We are all at the cross roads of where our profession is heading!
I’m afraid that crossroads was reached 15 years ago, when a minority of Australian pilots, but unfortunately a large enough minority, made a fateful decision that has affected everyone in the industry in the years since.

Spelling mistakes notwithstanding, I genuinely applaud your sentiments and wish you well at the crossroads you and your colleagues finds yourselves today. It is possible that the enormous damage that was started by the ‘heroes’ of 1989 can be undone, but as someone has said before me, it’s going to take a leader – and an overwhelming majority of what I’ll very inaccurately call ordinary pilots – with tremendous nerve and courage to achieve it.

Don’t for one moment think that the hurdles you will have to face are any steeper than were those faced by the pilots who established ALPA back in the 1920’s and 30’s. I urge you to read ‘Flying the Line’, the story of the establishment of US ALPA. The bastardry practised by the management (and their all too willing ‘hero’ helpers within the pilot ranks) of those times was every bit as nasty as anything management of today have thrown our way.