PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Just Passed For NATS
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2005, 14:57
italiancars

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well done to all getting on the course.

A word of warning tho, i was originally told I would be on a Jan 2002 course and in the end didn't start until Oct of the same year, so don't go handing in any notices until the last feasible minute and you have had 100% confirmation from NATS as they change things quickly if for example lots of people failed the previous course and are then recoursed, I was fortunate that I worked for an understanding company but many don't.

Accommodation, I rented the whole way through the course as i enjoy my own space & a secure parking space for my car and I could afford it as I own a property elsewhere in the country and rent that out which made up the short fall from the wap. Most people on my course rented, either with partners who moved to Bournemouth as well or after meeting people on the induction week which I believe is held at New Place now, used to be Highfield, there were very few who did the B&B thing. The reason NATS discourage renting is it is a fact that some people will fail it's the harsh reality of it but expect to see it, and therefore could be stuck with a rental agreement and no income, and when you are away on leave you get no wap as well, or on flying training or OJT you have to pay for 2 places, but budget for this and you'll be fine.

As for moving down before hand to get a lye of the land this is good if you can afford it, i moved down about 3 weeks before I was due to start, so had all my accommodation sorted before the course began and knew my way around. I know of at least one person who moved down 6 months before and got a job in a call centre as there are many.

I know 2 people on my course used the 15 hours flying towards getting their instrument rating PPL, but had to pay for the exam itself or something like that.

HTH