PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF abroad
Thread: RAF abroad
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2005, 13:54
brakedwell

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
1960 Scene One - The Persian Gulf 20 miles southwest of Bahrain. A Pembroke of 152 Squadron is acting as target on a gunnery practice exercise for HMS Loch Fyne.

The frigate lowers the (black & white I think) flag indicating gunnery training is in practice. As usual VHF contact has been lost. To confirm no more "attacks" are needed, I carry out a low flypast rocking the wings. When abeam the frigates it opens fire with a multigun broadside. The Pembroke shudders to a rattling sound and my mind is filled with the vision of a row of dents along the port side of the fuselage. Fortunately only small pieces of wadding and burnt gunpowder were visible after landing and were easily cleaned off.

Scene Two - The same area two weeks later.

In response to a signal from HQRNPG for one Pembroke to act as a target during Loch Fyne's annual inspection, one Pembroke departs Muharraq for the exercise area. Visibility is poor with blowing sand. Twenty minutes later I take off in a SECOND Pembroke, staying below fifty feet. As the first aircraft breaks away after being well and truly "shot down" by the frigates radar controlled guns, I start a low level attack from the opposite direction. Not a single gun turned, not a muzzle moved, resulting in one unimpressed Admiral and a signal from Loch Fyne's Captain complaining about the lack of fair play from the Crabs!

Scene Three six months later - The Persian Gulf 50 miles south east of Doha. A Pembroke, rear pax door removed, is enroute to a mail drop on Loch Fyne.
The ship is not where it is supposed to be! Eventually it is located some way from it's reported position. As usual it was not possible to establish VHF contact so, a low flypast was carried out. The frigate launches a small boat and awaits the drop a hundred yards away. Three runs will be required, each one involve free dropping a blue waterproofed mail bag attached to a 1ft diameter metal buoy. The first two runs were completed without a hitch with surprising accuracy (10-15 yards). On the third and final run I call "drop" to the Nav who is kneeling by the door. He throws the mail out. The bag arcs away from the aircraft and lands inside the wallowing boat, fortunately missing both occupants. One more low flypast confirmed both seamen were and unhurt and furiously bailing out water!

Scene four - A 152 Squadron get together with the officers from Loch Fyne in the wardroom of RNHQ Jufair several weeks later.

Hatchets are buried, many drinks are drunk and friendly relations are restored!

Last edited by brakedwell; 18th Feb 2005 at 14:56.