PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The great IR debate
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2005, 07:46
Heli-Ice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm with Paco on this.

IMO it doesn't matter what kind of thingy you fly during IR training, if its a box a plane or a rotary. You train the IR procedures first of all.

It makes no sense that the only way to get a rotary IR in most of the JAA countries is to get a twin IR. I can get an IR and well I have one on my PPL(A) SEP but cannot on a rotary. Why, I can't understand because there are a few single engine helicopters out there IFR certified. I know that it is possible according to the big book of JARs to do it the SE way but there are only a few JAA flight training organizations providing that kind of training.

I believe that those operators that operate multi-engine helicopters in IMC would appreciate their entry pilots to have at least gained and renewed their IR a few times, even on a single-engine, before throwing them into i.e. Super Puma IR training and all that comes with that.

The reaons people are trying to bring out here are about being able to get yourself an IR without having to worry about losing an arm and a leg for it. Get it on a single-engine first and if you don't get a job flying IFR in a twin then you should at least be able to renew your IR on a single and keep yourself current in the aircraft because that is what we need. Oh yeah, safety, thats also a part of this. It has been analysed that a contributing factor in many helicopter accidents are related to poor or no IR training amongst the pilots involved.

I think Paco is right, to many FW people making the rules.

Maybe I'm just plane stu... but this is my opinion.

Heli-Ice