PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NIMROD book
Thread: NIMROD book
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2005, 07:40
Yellow Sun

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
the word we got on the line was that you just flew round and round the UK bored out your skulls
Bluetail, I never implied that I flew on it, but I do know a great deal about that period. It was mounted as a proving flight. It had not been envisaged that the Nimrod would be refuelled in flight and although it was expected that everything would work for long enough it had to be demonstrated prior to operational employment.

The limiting factor for the length of flight was the oil system. Using the allowable consumption rates, the maximum flight time was fixed at ca. 18 hours. The proving flight was not "tasked" as such. The aim was to fly for 18 hours and operate the systems for extended periods throughout that time. If you think about what was being envisaged as the operational profile; 5 hours out, 6 hours on task, 5 hours back; then the boredom factor could be quite high.

By the way the stink was from the spare Thunder bucket down the back
Ah the heady mix of Racasan and OF14!, a potent recipe if allowed to mature for 18 hours. The Elsan was installed, not because the capacity of "normal facilities" was considered inadequate, but in case of failure of the "forward rest room". If the toilet jammed 1 hour into a 16 hour op sortie, it would be prudent to have provided a back up, however basic. It wasn't popular with the crews either.

I wonder YS did you do any of the FI to ISK one hop jobs, after the war.
After Corporate I went back to the day job. I don't recall anything about non-stop flights to FI. Not really sure why they should be considered necessary. Maybe someone else can provide chapter and verse on these.

YS