PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Haunted hotel at Heathrow ?
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2005, 15:33
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 441 Likes on 233 Posts
"The accident at RAF Middleton St George occurred when a Meteor 4 hit the inside face of the west wing whilst
attempting to perform a roller landing on one engine in 1951. I was under jet pilot training at Middleton at the
time, I witnessed the accident and was one of the first on the scene. Also, I was interviewed by the subsequent
Board of inquiry as I had flown the aircraft involved just before the prang. It would appear that the accident
has developed a bit of a myth status over the years!

As far as my memory serves me, it was one Flg Off Norman who was attempting the asymmetric roller, a maneuver
impossible for aerodynamic reasons which I won't go into here. However, I was in the crewroom in the most westerly
hangar when the Meteor went past the window on the ground with full power on one engine. There was just room for
a Meteor to pass between the tennis court and a bulk fuel installation - he managed it! There was one car parked
outside the front of the Officers' Mess - Flg Off Norman's! He still seemed to be trying to get airborne when he
hit the car and catapulted into the wing of the mess.

The tail broke off and came to rest by the Ladies Room window. The nose of the aircraft crashed through the wall of
the mess and a large lump of masonry fell on the pilot and killed him. There were two small explosions as the oxygen
bottles fractured. He might well have been killed by the impact before the masonry fell on him."

Put forward as an eye-witness acount of the accident, by retired RAF pilot Victor Dabin. With respect and acknowledgement to the Cleveland Aviation Society:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/phillip.../teesside.html

Allegedly room 62 in the west wing is the one to avoid....... Something, possibly Flying Officer Norman's apparition, will come and sit on your bed. Or on YOU if you happen to be in it......

Aha, just found something else! Try this for a laugh

http://members.aol.com/barneyconcannon/articles.htm

Last edited by ShyTorque; 17th Feb 2005 at 16:02.