PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - You are Tony B Liar.
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2005, 13:26
Lee Jung

16B,

My proposal was to decrease the current amount of income tax paid by most middle earners of 40% to 30% as more and more of the population have fallen into this band in the last 10 years.

I would then increase tax of the 'wealthy' and then increase again to those who could be termed rich, imo.

This seems fair to me, especially when coupled with binning CGT.

I cannot have kids so the idea of your proposal to re-introduce married 'man's' tax allowance is attractive, however I think the main thrust of getting mothers back into the work place is to pay for the ever increasing burden of an aging society, which is unavoidable. I do begrudge paying for these child tax credits when I will never benefit but I see that it is necessary. I do believe that state child care could work by simply being bolted on to existing primary schools, or even secondary schools. It might even get post-maternal teachers back into the classroom quicker.

Disruptive pupils tend to be from those families who could be considered caught in the poverty trap which perpetuates through generations. By sending small amounts to good schools, possibly sponsored by business and/or alumni may help break this poverty chain. Once it is broken for a generation I think it highly unlikely it would occur again.