PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crewroom Job Banter Question
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2005, 10:52
headyheights

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 Forward 6 back.

I don't know too much about RAF life but I have a big brother who did the airforce thing, lots of mates there and a mate that has just left Valley to go the Canada. I myself went the civvy route.

Unfortunately for you guys the RAF guys have to meet the same requirements as anyone else. I know what you mean as I also know alot of RAF guys that talk about jumping ship to virgin, BA etc etc.

You guys have a good training and that is noted in the civvy world for sure. But the thing is airlines like lots of hours for a start - the more the better and preferably Jet/Turbine time. They will require your hours to be multi engine and multi crew. On top of this your mates will need to spend 1-3 years training and £40K+to obtain a frozen ATPL. When you are in the airforce you don't have a pilots qualification, so you will need to obtain a recognised civilian licence under your belt. The more airforce hours you have though will mean that there will be less to do to obtain a fATPL.

I would hazard a guess that your friends have heard of the big salaries, nice lifestyles etc in virgin, ba but they need to realise that they will need thousands of hrs to apply there. Basically veteran professionals a long way through their career.

I would say stay where you are, get loads of descent hrs, have a good time, then when you do go into civvy street you will be that little bit higher up the tree.