PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RN Aircrew Application...... Or Not???
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2005, 08:47
Raffles01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys, some great info on here and on the forum in general. Much appreciated.

Anyway, I have a question about applying for the FAA that I've not been able to find through a search on Pprune and was wondering if anyone could help. (Sorry for hijacking your thread Vector!)

I am in the early stages of applying to hopefully 'Fly Navy', basically waiting to have the interview to see if they're willing to send me down to AIB. I'm also applying for the RAF at the same time as to be officer aircrew in the Forces is something I really want to do after having left University.

I'm applying for both pilot and observer but my problem is that I have had absolutely zero contact with the Navy apart from an interview with an SCLO when I was in school! At that time I was going for AAC flying, which I have passed the tests for, but after thinking hard about it I realise the Army is not the best service for persuing a flying career as an officer.

Therefore my problem is that, although I am now totally committed to a possible career in the Senior Service, how the hell do I convince them of this after no previous contact?! I realise that a Station visit will go down well (quite a trek from NW England to deepest Cornwall but I'm prepeared to do it!) and I know a fair amount about the history of the FAA etc, but is it literally just a case of saying 'It's something I never thought of until now but....'

Sorry to prattle on about such a small point, and I realise other areas are far more important such as aptitude and leadership, but I think the whole motivation thing would be an important aspect of joining, and when I get to such a stage as FATS and AIB 'Every Little Helps', to coin a phrase!

Any help would be greatly appreciated chaps! Thanks for your time.