PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The s**t has really hit the fan!
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2005, 07:51
Backontrack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy The s**t has really hit the fan!

Hi, not posted for a while, been happily observing in the wings. However, 'life spins on a penny' an all that.

I'm one of the many low houred guys, 35yrs old, 300TT, passed IR last May, been looking for work etc etc. Had to go back to work in the field I knew before, Finance, boring, however, out of the blue this contract ended yesterday and I'm back on my a**e again.

Like others I'm in debt already, have a partner, she works, have a large mortgage, getting married in April, all planned....not paid for! What to do....? I hate the line of work I've been in, yep it pays the bills, but my soul was destroyed long ago by the mundanity of it.

Gut reaction is to turn the experience into a positive and throw more money at aviation (more debt that is). The only thing I have left, which by rights is my partners as well, is an endowment policy that runs alongside my mortgage. There is enough in it for an instructors rating. So, the choices are, find another job that saps your soul or do the instructor rating, now, instruct for the summer, hopefully get 500ish hours and push my CV slightly up the pile.

I know the risks and I know the reality of the attractiveness of single engine time to the airlines, but frankly I don't know what else to do, I've thrown £50k at this already, I can't just stop.

Your views and comments appreciated (constructive ones of course!)

Ta