PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Throttle for speed, or stick for speed?
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2005, 21:49
Miserlou

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The reference to the stall was introduced to show how incorrect your statement was; by going to the extreme of low speed one can find out what the correct action should be.

Reading this post thread, I've begun to wonder how it is that gliders actually fly. Seems impossible, them having no power and all.

Landing an aircraft is achieved by juggling the primary and secondary effects of the elevators. Slowing the aircraft down and controlling the rate of descent. I do power on landings at work sometimes when asked to land long. Just takes longer that's all; attitudes and speeds remain the same and power reduced to idle at the actual point of touchdown instead of at the flare.

Forgive me but I prefer people to understand what actually happens rather than what appears to happen.

The reference to 'ground shy' reminds me of what some-one said once about finding yourself to low to pull out of some or other manouevre. "Aim as far away as you can and try to see how low you can go!"

The technique is to avoid mushing into the ground from a position which you could fly away from.