PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Flight Crew and the Absence Management Procedure
Old 16th Feb 2005, 20:19
pax britanica

Received 49 Likes on 22 Posts
As you gather from my nickname I am just a humble slf unit but I do travel BA a great deal. Service can be variablebut is generally good and all my traveling life I have had absolutely implicit confidence in the guys-and these days- girls up front.

From what you are saying this situation is being deliberately threatened by BA management by deliberately inducing a climate of fear, distrust and angst among the BA flight crew community purely for their own personal financial gain (ie perfromance related bonuses).

Given the very sensitive nature of aircrew work and the almost unique possibility compared to comparable jobs that they may inadvertantly do something that makes headlines around the globe isnt this something that if there is any truth to it that BA would be desperate to keep from any form of public dissemination.

BA like many large uk companies is intrinsincly badly managed because sadly us Brits are in general very bad managers as evidenced by the large numbers of foreign managers in UK enterprises (and succesful football teams). Management consultants are scum but they are a fact of corporate life doing the dirty work for large enterprises

It seems to me as an outsider ( and tell me to shove off if you want but I do help pay your wages and synpatgise with what you are saying ) you have two choices

1 Go very public with these allegations -especially in the USA where BA are very popular with US flying public but certainly won't be if the mystic of the cool calm 'Captain Speaking' Brit at the controls is dispelled

2 Choice 2 -and you have alluded to how hard this is but it remains an option, is to go the CAA route. It appears from what you say that there are strong supporting arguments that what is happening causes real potential problems for the flight crew operating environment. I know how hard it is to concentrate on the job when this sort of thing goes on at a company-if you fly for US Air or United it must also be hard to focus on the complex task in hand when the comnpany faces bankruptcy. However they are circumstances betonf the companys control-what you appear to be saying here is that BA are deliberately creating an atmosphere that cannot help but reduce the operational effectivenes of its crew. As much as the CAA might be in BAs pocket-they could never defend that once the Sun got hold of it

I am very sorry to hear-but not surprised - that such things go on and that management in a company where integrity and responsibility are critically important could act in such a reckless and unethical manner

Good luck
PB