PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fixed-wing or Rotary career? (incl Changing licence to Rotary)
Old 16th Feb 2005, 14:46
muffin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To add to what the others have said..................

I too fly both fixed wing and rotary. If I want to go somewhere more than an hour or so away, I normally take the aeroplane. If I want to have fun, maybe go to a restaurant for lunch or just go flying, I will take a helicopter. I have never found any restriction by hire organisations on where I can land - the whole great thing about a helicopter is its ability to land almost anywhere and if they are happy to let you fly it then where you land is down to you. I would certainly far rather have an engine failure in a helo than a plank.

Re the comments about hands off flying. I do find the R22 very tiring to fly after a while. Due to too much use of a mouse, I suffer sometimes from tennis elbow, which is actually on the outer side of my forearm just below the elbow. When flying the R22 in the cruise, it requires a constant forward cyclic pressure as the cyclic trim is a crude on off device that does not help an awful lot. After a while, this really makes my arm ache and as you cannot let go of the thing you wind up using your right knee as a steadying anchor. About an hour of this is about all I can stand, so this is one reason I take an airplane if it is a long trip. As far as I know, the R22 is the only light helo that has this problem as all the others have an effective cyclic trim.

Great fun though!