PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fixed-wing or Rotary career? (incl Changing licence to Rotary)
Old 16th Feb 2005, 04:30
Salty123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stick to airplanes. They're more bang for the buck and you can actually do stuff with them.
All depends on the situation. I have yet to meet some of my jet jockey brethren who will fly at 15 feet AHO.

Of course, this is certainly not something you would do in civvie land.

The simple explanation I use for my non-flying friend is that a helicopter is like riding a unicycle while patting your head and rubbing your tummy. The whole thing is very hard at first but, with a bit of practice, it get pretty easy.

W/ respect to the whole hands off thing, if your intention is to eventually go commercial, depending what you are doing there are several models with an auto-pilot like system. The model I fly is pretty much hands off when flying an approach with minor corrections when it gets bumpy.

A helo PPL is certainly a nice thing to have. I would love to get my equivalency if only to rent the nice 206 at the local airport if only to bring my parents up for a nice ride in the fall, and other things like that.

Certainly give it a try if you have the money to spare. If anything it will only help you with your fixed wing flying and your hands and feet.