PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fixed-wing or Rotary career? (incl Changing licence to Rotary)
Old 15th Feb 2005, 21:43
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I fly both f/w and rotary, so can maybe add a little to what my good friend Whirlygig said. Helicopter flying is not really more difficult, just different. If you like hands-on flying, and having to actually fly the aircraft all the time, you'll like helicopters. If you prefer to take off, trim it out, look at the view, re-fold your map, and have a bit of a break till you land, then stick to fixed wing.

Concerning safety, a lot of rubbish is talked by some f/'w pilots about helicopters. If you have engine failure in a f/w aircraft, you have more time, but you need to find a decent field. In a helicopter, you have less time to establish autorotation, but all you need is a flat area to land on. Swings and roundabouts really.

Yes, helicopter flying is more expensive. But I would have said about double, not three times as much. And remember, you don't need to waste time - and money - taxiing etc in a helicopter; as soon as you lift into the hover, you're flying, and having fun. And you spend much less time doing circuits and landing too. So it's not as much more expensive as it appears.

Your choice really. But if you decide to fly both, be careful while you're learning; I found it confusing for a while. Once you've learned, they seem to sort themselves out OK.