PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Failed?
Thread: Failed?
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2005, 14:17
GroundBound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I passed first time, but I think he was kinda nice to me - I thought I was really cr@p, and was pretty certain I had failed.

I was pushed for time since I was learning away from home and had to fit the GFT into the last day - due wx problems. The day of the test, weather was clear shining blue sky but SIGMETS on low level turbulence were being published for about 60 miles south of us and there were distant CBs bubbling on the horizon. The examiner says "īts your call, can we go?" The temptation and need to go was enormous, but I decided we might get out and maybe we might also not get back and broken-heartedly called it off. Apparently that was right - he said he would have failed me there and then, if I had decided to go.

However, we did agree to do it in 2 parts, the airwork first and the cross country the next day (what next day - I didn't have one!). So it all became rather rushed, and I taxied out with the primer bouncing about (not locked, even though I did turn it - it caught on the housing and I didn't notice it).

That set the nerves jangling, I went through the power checks and forgot to do the pre-take off checks - so I was desperately running through them as I lined up (Jeez, what a pig's ear!).

Things settled down for a bit, and then we came back to the field for a PFL , which I wasn't expecting, and I was about to overshoot the ATC clearance limit to hold south of the field, when he reminded me of it (nice guy - really!).

The PFL was conducted against the appoaching rain storm and CBs which were now only a few miles west of the field and the 'plane was bouncing all over the sky. We shot downwind and when I turned to final we kinda stopped moving forward, so the 1st stage flap I had down was turning into an acute embarrasment - sh*te!

I just about scraped it onto the threshold and bounced back into the air and the turbulence had us bucking all over the place - I could hardly hold a heading or rate of climb, and only just managed to keep the speed about right.

Finally we got down without anything else going wrong. I managed to manufacture a "next day" for the cross country which went as smoothly as anything - because I wasn't rushed, and had decided now I had failed anyway and was more relaxed.

Lessons learned? Be releaxed - don't let yourself be rushed. Don't give up - do what you've been taught. You will probably be your own worst enemy. Tell yourself you know how to do it and focus on that. Show that you are in charge and can cope, especially in response to unexpected conditions.

Take heart - even the worst pilots can pass - I did

GB