PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TSA hindering Non US Citizens hiring?
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2005, 05:22
Tinstaafl

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whaledog, I'm not sure, but I think you have a misapprehension. It sounds to me as if you think there is some form of discrimination w.r.t. FAA <--> JAR licence conversions in the FAA --> JAR direction.

Not so. In general JAR mandate less course work time, and in some cases, fewer examinations/flight tests for an FAA (or other ICAO) licence holder than it does for those training wholly within the JAR system. FAR makes no such allowance for foreign licence holders. A foreign licence holder must complete the same exams & tests as a wholly FAR trained person.

I agree there is an argument about minimum mandated flight training for some things such as instrument training (15 hours), but the practicality is that a foreigner trying to get an FAA certificate would still end up having to do some amount US training to pass the FAA test - even if the training isn't specifically required.

If your argument is that it takes a lot more work to pass the theory for JAR then, yes, absolutely. Similarly if you went to Oz. However, that's not a result of discrimination, but purely what the regulatory authorities have decided must be known to hold their licence. It's hardly JARlala land's fault if the FAA doesn't prepare its pilots for the JAR exams (nor is it the FAA's fault if a foreign authority fails to prep. its pilot's for the FAA exam.)