PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RN Aircrew Application...... Or Not???
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2005, 20:36
vector801

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RN Aircrew Application...... Or Not???

Hi all,

This is my first post on PPRuNe so be gentle.

I have a problem. I have just recently re-applied for a Commission to join the RN as a Potential Pilot. This will now be my third application.

1st Application Failed the FATS

2nd Application Passed Pilot FATS with Very Good Score, Neglected to Put effort into Observer FATS as I was so obsessive about passing for Pilot, wouldn't have been an Observer if u'd paid me a £1,000,000. Then failed AIB on the grounds that I didn't read the right 'Newspapers' even though I passed all written tests very well as well as the group excercises.

Now at the age of 23 I realise that I will need to have started training by my 24th birthday in July. I have also been told by my Liaison Officer that I need to now Pass Observer FATS. Having sat them twice already I shouldn't be allowed another go.

Am I biting at the bit, do I leave the Application??

After all, I have just passed to become a Trainee Air Traffic Controller with NATS which I start in Sept.
On the other hand, in 2001 I went to South Africa and got my ICAO PPL in 18 days, was awarded a RN Gliding Scholarship in 2000 and flew with Ex-First Sea Lord. Admiral Sir Julian Oswold.

The Royal Navy have shown great interest in me over the course of the last 6 years. I really don't want to waste any more of their time or resources (or mine) on a lost course.

If there is anyone out there who can possibly point me in the right direction I would be extremely grateful.
A Flying Career in the RN has been my life long ambition, especially reading about all the exploits of Cmdr 'Sharkey' Ward and the Men of 801, Lt Nick Richardson and his adventures in Bosnia, as well as many other untold stories of RN Aircrew.

Like I said, am I still holding on to a Ship That Has Most Probably Sailed???

Regards, John