PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Failed?
Thread: Failed?
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2005, 13:56
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would be interesting for me to compare these experiences with CPL fails and see where the differences are. However, the new thread would have to be in wannabes I suppose...
Penguina, funny you should say that, as I was just about to write about my CPL(H) test, as it was a good learning experience for anyone, on how to salvage what could easily have been a fail.

I get ridiculously nervous before flying tests, and it doesn't get any better with practice. This time I even forgot something in the start-up which I'd done hundreds of times. The nav section was first, and I was all over the place, too scared to think straight. Luckily I found the grid reference I was looking for, or it would have been an automatic fail. Everything else was OK, but not good, and when I got back I even had problems landing. We stopped for a break, and I was utterly convinced I'd failed. But I remembered being told that you should never give up, that there was ALWAYS a chance to salvage things. So I managed to calm down before the general handling, and even do the instrument flying, which I like, rather well (though I say so myself). And I managed to handle all four simulated emergencies adequately, which probably helped. When I got back for an extensive debrief, the first thing the examiner said was: "You've passed...but I don't want you to think you did well". I breathed a sigh of relief, and said: "I KNOW I didn't do well". He went on to say that he could tell I was incredibly nervous, but appreciated the fact that I was coping, and actually getting better rather than worse, as it proved I could cope with stress when flying. And since I'd gradually improved throughout, he felt able to pass me.

I could so easily have just mentally given up when things weren't going well. But perfection is not expected, for either the PPL or CPL, and it may always be possible to salvage things.