PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HK MD-11 Accident InquiryReview published.
Old 14th Feb 2005, 09:57
Seloco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a pax I've been in and out of Chep Lap Kok a fair number of times now. Two landings stick in my mind. One was in a BA 744 in the middle of a typhoon (and just before they finally closed the airport down for 3 hours). The sea below the aircraft during final approach was an extraordinary maelstrom, and yet the touchdown was textbook smooth. When I commented on this to the captain before disembarking, he noted that the wind direction had been right down the runway, which had helped things considerably!

Other was in a VS 343 in which I had been privileged to have a flightdeck visit (just pre911) and hear about the differences in landing at Chep vs KaiTak. The key point that the VS crew made was that Chep suffers hugely from wind rotors when the direction is from the island, so even a modest amount of crosswind can make things extremely unpredicatable if the wind has come over the mountains and is spinning vertically. Their view was that this can make Chep a much greater landing challenge than KaiTak even in modest wind conditions.

I wonder just how well modern simulators can reproduce windrotor conditions on final approach?