PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Am I too late?
Thread: Am I too late?
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2005, 21:24
troy_99992000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trapped in an office.

Hi Mark Wannabe,

Just after reading you post. You questions are exactly what I have researched only recently. The first commercial pilot I got advice from gave me this answer about my age (In my Late thirties), and is it too late?
His opening answer was;

“You have to have lots of money and quite be mad old chap!”

So far I may qualify for both! And may others, as I’ve discovered.
I have spoken to lots of airline recruitment companies and pilots themselves and one thing is for sure, age is not a problem. Also, and most importantly, it is very apparent to me that this is the best time to learn. I’ve been told from numerous sources that there will be a shortage of pilots in the next few years. After visiting many training facilities in the UK, only recently, I found that they are finding it hard to hold onto pilot instructors, as they’ve been sucked up by the airlines. Do correct me it I’m wrong anyone.

Personally, I left a successful well paid career one day and booked my first flying lesson, because I realized that I will be in a dull office for the rest of my life, if I do nothing about it. It’s really a question of time, do you want more money for an unfulfilled day, or less money for a thrilling day? I believe however, that it will payoff financially in the end.

I’ve just reached my first hurdle, my PPL flight test! I’m sure this is the first of many, but here is a bit of advice to start you off. When you start your PPL training, make sure you get a class one instructor. I only say this, because when I went for my first solo in the circuit, I was passed around several class one instructors in order to check me out for my solo. Each one of them had different methods of doing the circuits, etc, and this caused confusion for me, and many of my flying piers! This cost money and time. I’m getting the same problems now while being checked out for my PPL Flight test.
Also take the PPL seriously, all of the learning, both in the air and on the ground will help you through the ATPL’s I’m told.

I’m sure your aware the importance of getting you Class One Medical! Don’t do anything until you have that first!!

Anyhow, If you’ve plenty of cash, a will to bet £100,000 grand or so on your abilities, balls, and a backup plan, why wait? You could be trapped in an office forever!