PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ramp worker killed by prop
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2001, 10:02
Cyclic Hotline

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Unhappy

Im afraid it happens with a much greater regularity than once a year.

Accidents involving people, props, jet intakes, main and tail rotor blades occur with alarming regularity!

You can never be too careful on a working ramp! I have met a woman who walked into a prop as a very young girl (terrible long-term outcome) and a mechanic who was struck on the head by a tail rotor (changed him, but he is still a capable worker). Many of my colleagues and acquaintances who have been involved in similar accidents were severely affected themselves.

Unfortunately, as I say, these acccidents occur far to often, you don't need to look far;

**** 08/06/2001 Preliminary Accident/Incident Data Record 3 ****
A. Type: A Mid Air: N Missing: N Entry date: 07/31/2001

B. Reg. No.: 8358G M/M: C188 Desc: 188, A188, T188 AgWagon, AgPic
Activity: Aerial Application Phase: Standing GA-A/C: General Aviation
Descr: ACFT HAD BEEN INVOLVED IN AERIAL APPLICATION, LANDED, TAXIED IN, AND WAS BEING RE-FUELED WHEN THE PERSON FUELING THE ACFT WALKED INTO THE PROPELLER AND WAS FATALLY INJURED, OTHER CIRCUMSTANCES ARE UnKNOWN, THOMASVILLE, GA.

Awareness and safety on the ramp are everyone's responsibility. If no other positive outcome were to be achieved from these terrible accidents, it would be to ensure the topic is covered in your next safety meeting. Especially at this busy time of year!

Condolences to the family and colleagues of the individuals so sadly lost here.