PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2005, 15:38
SASless

Received 516 Likes on 215 Posts
Guns...

I have a lot of sympathy for the locals...Billions of dollars of oil gets pumped out of the ground right next to their thatch huts...they have no electricity....no clean water....poor schools...no real protection from corrupt government. It is understandable they should not be too happy with the oil company and the government.

I also question why the people have let this go on for so long....and wonder just how long it will be until a strong dynamic leader brings the many factions together and brings about real change. It can only be a matter of time.....hopefully, it will be a political upheaval and not a civil war again.

As to the operators and oil companies....the oil companies will take care of their own....and the operators will continue to put their folks at risk I fear.

There are plenty of old 61's and SuperPumas that could be used to do passenger shuttles for the helicopter crews but we will never see that.....ever tried to get a seat on the oil company flight to be bumped by a woman going to Lagos for a shopping trip? Never mind you have to get to Lagos to catch a flight out of the country for your time off.