PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA pilot fails breath test - Update - Not Guilty!
Old 13th Feb 2005, 08:28
cargo boy
I've only made a few posts so I don't feel the need to order a Personal Title and help support PPRuNe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(I am assuming that the police have tested many pilots and had 99% negative results)
You know what they say about assuming!

Try "the police have tested very FEW pilots and had 99.9% negative results".

Once again, take the numbers of pilots taking control of a commercial airliner every day, multiply that by 365 and then compare that to the number of pilots breath tested every day and found to be over the limit and multiply that by 365 and then compare the two results. It's one thing to be breath tested and it's another to be found over the limit.

Now we wait for the inevitable chorus of the righteous brigade who will gladly throw away a few more of our civil liberties and demand that every pilot be breath tested before every flight. In reply will come the other chorus of the statistics brigade who will point out that you can count the number of airline accidents related to alcohol in the last 20 years on the fingers of one hand that has had an 80% amputation.

I think it's safe to say that I'm in the second camp. If you want to guarantee a 100% safety record in aviation... stop flying.