PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Angle of Lead - Technique
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2005, 23:30
Sourpuss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Angle of Lead - Technique

G'day!

I am currently preparing for an A320 TR. As I have no experience in large aircraft I have a few questions concerning general handling! I hope that someone has time to offer some advice!

During training in a light turboprop a rough rule for the Angle of lead was introduced which seemed to work very well.

------------------------
*AOL (90 degree intercept) = (GS/3)/Distance From Station

So for a 90 degree intercept of the LLZ at 10Nm and 210kts (No wind) and with a beacon at say 5 nm from the RWY I would start my final turn with an AOL 14 degrees to the BCN.

I was happy with with this rule and it worked well.
-------------------------

I was then given a new instructor who happened also to be A320 capt. He was an extremely good instructor and offered me the following advice about AOL on a larger aircraft. I may have misunderstood him!

* 1% of the TAS is an approximtion of the Radius of Turn
Then use 1:60 rule.

eg. 1% of 210 is a radius of approx. 2 Nm. At 5 Nm from the beacon that gives an AOL of 24 degrees!
---------------------------

I wrote this post fairly quickly, hopefully I didnt make any large calc. errors!

I would be greatful to hear from pilots on the 320 or 737 etc (or similar size) who may have a technique to share which serves them well. I thought that the 1st rule I learnt would also be useable on the A320 however I am now unsure because of the huge difference in AOL from one technique to the other. I think perhaps the rule for radius of turn is too rough and gives too large a value? What sort of radius would one expect in an A320 at 210kts?

Thank you in advance!

SP