PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NIMROD book
Thread: NIMROD book
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2005, 21:31
Big Tudor
Alba Gu Brath

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bluetail

The were certain controllers at ISK of a particular vintage who took it upon themselves to provide sustinance for the long Moray Firth winter nights. All In-Flight staff were required to hold a vaild airside driving permit, issued by ATC and requiring a re-validation signature from ATC each year. Said driving permit would be endorsed by the venerable controllers using a primitive form of bartering. One signature = 1 x Dairy Cream sponge. I don't recall it ever failing.

I also recall when the fleet was bolt-holed to Lossie, additional rations would be provided for the demanding coach journey from ISK. All 8 miles of it!

In terms of non-ration related stories, the one call that would send a shiver of dread around the Tower was "Aircraft returning with hung-up sonobouy". One prayed to any God that would listen that the skipper would perform the gentlest of landings, thus preventing the sonobouy from dislodging and spreading liberal amounts of ball-bearings all over the asphalt. There was thousands of the little bu66ers in each sonobouy and they would scatter for miles if it burst. I swear I have even seen OC Ops (can't recall his name) out in his little Metro scouring the runway for any trace of a ball-bearing.