PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R22 accident report
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2005, 16:04
Bravo73

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts
Well Gaseous, somebody seems to have rattled your cage.

Without resorting to mudslinging, let me respond to a few of your points:

I did know!
Exactly. Which is why I said:
But then, you already know that...
There are many more things (cam profiles, compression ratios, etc.) that determine power output than carb or FI.
Of course there are. But I'm a great believer in the KISS principle (I need to be!). And, by and large, a FI version of the SAME engine will produce more power than the carb version.

As far as I know ( I dont fly one - AHA!) this (ie leaning) is not recommended with a Raven2.
Not only not recommended, but not allowed. (At least not during flight).

I would suggest the main reason FI was put on the Raven 2 was avoidance of induction icing. Just my opinion.
Of course it is but I'm afraid that's it's wrong. Frank needed more performance from the same engine so he chose the FI version. Even the Robinson website says as much: The Raven II is equipped with a fuel-injected, angle-valve, tuned-induction, IO-540 Lycoming engine which produces substantially more power and gives the Raven II greater altitude performance, more payload, and increased speed. (My emphasis). The lack of a carb icing problem is an ancillary benefit.

I'm by no means an expert on any of this but it's amazing what you learn on the RHC safety course...

Fly safe,

B73