PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Am I too late?
Thread: Am I too late?
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2005, 13:01
Flypuppy

Chieftan o'the Pudden Race

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The dream is great, the flying is rewarding and demanding, the training is stressful, the groundschool is misery. The reality sucks.

Assuming you have no PPL you will be looking at shelling out between £45,000 and £75,000 on training (depending what you chose to do modular/integrated etc etc).

Since it is now the vouge to buy a type rating you will need to add another £15,000 - £25,000 to your training bill.

You will also need to spend some money on living costs if you choose a school away from home, so assuming you dont want to live in a tent and eat cold Lidl own brand baked beans, add another £8,000 to £12,000 to your total.

Dont forget that life goes on while you are sweating away at training to become a pilot, if your business can run without you and you maintain an income, then you are in a strong position. If not, remember to budget for things like paying the mortgage, house insurance, food for the wife and kids and some emergency money set aside for things like the washing machine breaking down.

Do the sums and work out how much money you will need.

Now look at PPJN (Regional) where you are most likely to get a start as a commercial pilot. Starting salaries average at approx £22,000 per year.

You really really will want to do this. If you look at this project from a financial viewpoint it makes no sense whatsoever. Chances are it will take 5-7 years to recover what you invest in this training.

Make sure you fully brief your missus on how much it will affect family life. You are likely to be stressed in ways you have not experienced before. You are going to be spending money like water once you get to the CPL/IR stage (approx £5 per airbourne minute) and all on the gamble that you will get a job.

Alternatively, you could spend a similar amount of money on a Jet Provost and fly a jet whenever you feel like it.

I don't mean to put you off, and I hope I haven't, but you need to be realistic about what lies in store. Consider your options and try to keep everything in perspective. It isn't all hot and cold running hosties and night stops in the Bahamas.....

Last edited by Flypuppy; 12th Feb 2005 at 13:20.