PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fly Navy!
Thread: Fly Navy!
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2005, 20:32
Pielander

Prince of Pastry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr Pink,

Sorry to hear about that. It sounds like you were skanked. I'm afraid one idiosynchracy of RN selection is that you have to pass the Observer tests as well as the pilot tests in order to get in as a pilot. I've no doubt that you are a veritable stick ninja, and with scores of 5/6 at UAS I'm sure you will be successful in an aviation career somewhere.

Best of luck!

Iscajp:
The reason why Mr Pink failed pilot entry into the FAA is simple. His observer scores (although he may have passed them according to the RAF) did not pass the FAA levels. These levels have been increased by them purely because they can - given the large amount of people applying to the FAA versus the limited number of spaces.
I'm not saying that the minimum pass mark is low by any means. It's still hard to pass, because if you can't pass the FAT's (both P and O), then the way they see it is that the chances are you won't make it through all of the training. (nothing personal - it's just cost saving - i.e. anybody could be a pilot or looker, except that the training budget is tight and the pace of the courses is fast and not everybody can keep up. Maybe this is more the case in the RN? I dunno). Perhaps the need to pass for O in order to get in as P is unnecessary, but I don't write the rules!

The point is that with the standards as they are, there are not enough people passing the tests to fill the quota for aircrew entry (particularly observer). With the best will in the world, the commander at RAFC is not a career advisor, and the debriefing that he gives to those who have not made the grade is not necessarily gospel - it's just the standard guff just to make you feel better.

Pieman i did like your comment about pubuser there are lots of bitter resentful idiots that use this forum that like to slag off others as they're not good enough to be promoted from baggage handler to pilot.
Well, as he said, I think Pub User was just bantering; however, you are quite correct about some of the users of this forum. Case in point:

Vlad The Inhaler

Youre on the wrong forum, mate.
You want the "Patronising teenagers" Forum..
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!...... ha ha ha ha ha! Do you even know what the word 'patronising' means?

And here's the best bit:

...if you think you the odds are good for you to be a pilot in the military, definitely have a go at:
www.lotto.co.uk
Well Vlad, the odds look pretty good from where I'm sitting!

Just face it mate, you're obviously bitter because you're an unemployable loser. Get over it and find a different career. I hear Kwik Save are actively recruiting 'Checkout Pilots'. Why don't you start by checking this out:

http://www.kwiksave.co.uk/jobs.asp

Sagey, I thought you must have got into the FAA years ago! (I spotted some of our posts a while back). The age limit on entry to BRNC is currently 26 for new inquiries made before the beginning of April. Thereafter, it drops down to 24, in line with the RAF. Do it now! Do it now! (I know it doesn't make sense, but please, guys, don't make me argue my case. I'm just telling it how it is, and it you don't want to believe it, then don't read it).

Last edited by Pielander; 12th Feb 2005 at 00:22.