PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A/C External Cleaning
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2005, 17:54
Funkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LHD – lets say the message sender has a vested interest in A/C washing and did the correct thing by not flaunting such a service. Flightline – Thanks again for the info.

Essentially, use a product that does not contain Silicone or salt. Generally salt is contained within squeezy liquid and I would think that a car shampoo such as Zip wax would contain silicone as the waxing agent!

Cover up components that you feel may be a risk from water ingestion, so – make sure the air/heating vents are closed, fuel caps are on tight, static vent and pitot head is cover (a coloured tape that contrasts with the A/C colour). Would be worth while checking the dip stick is nice and tight too. – Minimise risks, it’ll only hit you in the pocket otherwise.

A rinse down, some degreaser to the underside, sponge wash using say Autoglym or Mer and then rinse off. Probably best to wash in sections, rather than going around the entire a/c then rinsing off. Dry with a chamois and then clean the windows, with Plexus which seems to be the best.

If polishing, make sure the static vent is cover – most important I would have thought!

Any thoughts on tyre dressing, just to finish it off!!

Just like washing my bike really, take time and care.

Ozplane – good shout – I’ll ask the pretty ladies at the club house to fill the kettle for me!!

Cheers for now.