PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Zero to Forty Five - my PPL Diary
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2005, 15:41
Chequeredflag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just back from a lesson this morning, and BOY do I feel much better"". Did 5 circuits, and everything was vastly improved over yesterday's dumb performance. I discussed the cutting of power at 100' with my instructor (who has been at the school for 10 years), and he explained that at E.Mids, where there is huge runway space, leaving power cut until the flare is fine, but landing at smaller airfield, with much reduced runway length, a slower, steeper approach is needed, and that we'll be practising ALL types of approach over the coming lessons.

Anyway, back to today, I was still a bit flaring early, but not so much as yesterday. I learned not to fixate on the runway where I would touch down, but to look mainly at the runway horizon as I flare. This gave a much better perspective of the landing area, and whilst all 5 of my landings were a bit on the heavy side, they was much better than 24 hours previously.

Somehow, I felt more relaxed today than ever before, and seemingly able to trim the aircraft better, reducing effort and making life easier.

To complete my "rehab", I scored 92.5 on my second Air Law mock exam, so I will sit the pukker job next week...I really cannot wait to reading something different!!

I hope, Mazzy, That I'm not hi-jacking your thread too much!

Cheers all, have a great weekend (we're off down to the boat for a few days, to give me a break from aviation!!

Hampshire Hog, I\'m learning in a Warrior. Nice little aircraft to start in.