PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Murray/Bodill Round the World
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2005, 12:21
farsouth

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am glad to hear that your company operated so successfully during its Antarctic operations, and that you found it so easy. However, I can think of at least 5 total write-offs of helicopters in recent years in Antarctica, involving military, commercial, government and private operators as well as numerous accidents and incidents involving fixed-wing aircraft, the majority of which were related to weather conditions.

The flight across South America, while more risky in some parts than others (Amazon Jungle??), is certainly not the hardest part of flying to the Pole. There are still support facilities, (airports, fuel, hotels, food) at most of the planned stops.

Leaving South America, the 600nm leg across the Drake Passage is well-known for extreme weather. On arriving in the Antarctic, you then have a 3400nm round trip to fly, over a route where there are very few actual weather reports, no airports, little or no ground support, fuel only in pre-depoted caches, surface temperatures down to minus 25 in midsummer, landing sites at up to 10 or 11,000 ft.

I am not suggesting that this is the only place where a lot of these conditions are found, and pilots cope with them. But I still would say that to suggest that it is easy, and no challenge, and takes only little skill and a big wallet, to safely fly from outside the continent to the Pole and back again, is patently not the case.
Whether there is any point to these flights is a different question

( I think that Dick Smith only flew his 206 to the North Pole – his late-80’s flight to South Pole was by Twin Otter)