PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Standardisation ?
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2005, 12:07
homeguard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Standards

FireflyBob

I'm sure that you have raised this issue and now shortstripper has raised the use of checklists but on another thread the use of flaps in turns is argued - sum up to be not right or wrongs but part of the need for 'teaching' and not simply 'instructing'.

What are we teaching in all of this - I would hope an awareness of safety.

A standard is not always the best way in every situation but will always work and keep you out of trouble. As with the 'Standard Stall Recovery', not always the correct method for a 'type' but will work on just about all. The recovery technique for a particular type may mean disaster if applied to another different aeroplane.

Similarly the use of lights at night comes under 'good airmanship' and fireflybob is correct in my opinion and the best reasons have been amplified by orionsbelt. All professions have their standards which save a lot of wasted time and allow everyone to get on with the job without circular arguements - such as; "this what I do". "another Instructor told me something else", however in my experience very rarely true when you bottom it, it can often be what they prefer to remember was said - usually requiring the least amount of effort. So, don't fall for it!

For everyone else who disagrees - re-invent the wheel at your peril!