PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Standardisation ?
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2005, 21:07
fireflybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Standardisation ?

How do you tackle the PPL holder who is adding further qualifications to his licence (eg night/imc rating) who has flown with several different organisations (including the UAS!) and seems to have every counter arguement imaginable when you make a comment on his operation.

Example:-

1. Starts to do the pre start chex from memory and when I ask him why he does not use the checklist tells me that a previous instructor/school had told him its safer to use memory. We than start with the fuel selector off and the engine stops as we start to taxi (I decided to let this scenario develop!). I then suggested it might have been better to use the checklist!

2.Taxing out to night fly at GA airfielfd with minimal apron/taxi lighting so he, quite rightly, uses the landing light but then leaves it on for the power check (I asked him to switch it off) and then wants to leave it on when at the holding point with an aircraft landing with potential to affect night vision of landing pilot. When I commented on his he told me that previous instructors had told him to leave the landing light on AT ALL TIMES.

Its not so much the specific issue of the landing light etc. but how you deal with issues such as this without appearing to be "nitpicking". Any ideas? How do you get pilots who seem very entrenched in one way of doing everything to use some original thought?