PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Save our seaplanes !! Please lend your support.
Old 10th Feb 2005, 09:47
PH-UKU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Save our seaplanes !! Please lend your support.

I am writing to seek your help and support to fight for the future of seaplane flying at Loch Lomond in Scotland.

As you may all be aware the Loch Lomond National Park is carrying out a Public Consultation with the proposed aim of introducing a byelaw to ban seaplane operations. The Public Consultation runs until the 8th April 2005 and I urge you all, as flyers and enthusiasts to get in touch with them and let your views be known.

If I tell you that there are 4 or 5 seaplanes in the whole of Scotland …. yet over 5400 registered boats, jetskis and cruisers on Loch Lomond alone, perhaps you will see why we are so incensed about this blatant discrimination.

Spurious arguments have been stirred up by a very vocal minority of ‘environmentalists’ who now have the ear of the National Park Board. The Park want to "be seen to do something" so are picking on the easiest and smallest target – seaplanes.

Never mind that there are 10 million vehicle movements or 5 million visitors each year. Never mind that chainsaws, motorbikes, National Park chartered helicopter flights, agricultural grass-cutters or jetskis etc…
might be more polluting or all make more noise.

First the argument was noise, then it was pollution and both of these charges were refuted. Now it seems they want to ban us ‘because’. One of the more absurd 'reasons' is that seaplanes will have to prove that their shadows do not disturb wildlife !!! I suppose the Park Authority will now seek to ban clouds too ?

This is the thin end of the wedge. Start with one small group, and then pick off the others. Make no mistake, this is a direct attack on every pilots freedom to fly.

The Seaplane Assocation has been set up to counteract this proposal and to fight for the rights of seaplanes in Britain.

Please take 5 minutes to visit our website, read our comprehensive and detailed arguments and then, PLEASE, put in your submission to –
[email protected] - we also have included a comprehensive contact list for further lobbying on the website.

We are also keen to welcome new members (you can join on-line) and look forward to hearing from you !!

Thank you very much for your support.

Last edited by PH-UKU; 27th Feb 2005 at 20:58.