PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - sudden speed loss during climb...
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2005, 06:11
error_401

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd bet on an Inversion.

Happened to mee to the opposite side. Descending with an ATR 42 on autopilot maintaining 180 kt as instructed by ATC.

Temp above a cloud layer at about 2500 ft AGL 12 deg positive. diving into the layer the speed came up to 205 kt ! and the temp dropped to -6 deg celsius within not even 100 ft altitude difference. the cloude layer also looked smooth from above.

We were already on the LOC so I noticed a change in wind correction of about 3 - 5 deg.

In climb I'v seen that thing happen on a Piper Aztec ride for fun . expecting the speed and performance loss when climbing out (got smart and asked met office ...) once it started getting lighter i increased the speed to 140 mph. coming out of the cloud layer I hit the inversion. temp up some 10 deg C, speed down by about 10 mph.

If you know there is an inversion basic pitch mode could be best practice.

I only climb at VS in cruise for a level change and keep my hand on the glareshield to be sure not to forget setting it back to IAS once it reaches climb speed.

Miserlou,

on cold days with -10 or more you can get quite impressive climb figures out of an ATR and his 72 wass 1 ton short of MTOM