PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Single Pilot IFR
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2005, 00:44
QSK?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IFR Risk Management

As a relatively low-time (but current) ME IFR private pilot, I'm very interested in this debate.

I don't think anyone could reasonably argue with the point, that, on a straight comparison basis and all things being equal, multi-crew IFR will still always be safer than SPIFR. Simply put, two brains, four eyes, two mouths and four hands will always triumph in the end,

However, I firmly believe that SPIFR should be, and can be, a very safe operation PROVIDED A PILOT IS AWARE OF ALL THEIR PERSONAL, ENVIRONMENTAL AND EQUIPMENT LIMITATIONS AT THE TIME THE FLIGHT IS BEING CONDUCTED - and undertakes appropriate risk management over their flight.

Unfortunately, in my view, IFR risk management and decision making is an aspect that is either sadly lacking altogether, or not emphasised strongly enough, in the training syllabus of almost all GA IFR training institutions that I've encountered.

For example, many IFR pilots feel an increase in apprehension or a slight loss of confidence if they havn't flown in serious IMC for some time, even though they may be technically IFR current. The slight increase in apprehension or lack of confidence also raises the level of risk for the pilot flying under this scenario, even though the pilot may not think so. So how does the pilot recognise and manage this increased risk effectively? Apart from holding, diverting or cancelling the flight altogether, what other (maybe more practical) options are available to the pilot to ensure their flight progresses safely?

This is where I consider most IFR training falls down. I believe IFR schools should be emphasisng the practical aspects of IFR flying a lot more to their students and educate students about other possible decision options available to the pilot to cover this, and many other, IFR scenarios. In other words how does a pilot "use the system" to manage flight risk effectively?

Of course the pilot has been trained to consider the standard diversion or holding tactic, but very rarely has the pilot been trained to think about other tactical decision options that may be more practical under the circumstances eg raising the MDA/DA by a 100 feet, doing the flight in daylight rather than night, selecting another airport that may have enhanced facilities (eg radar or an ILS) or making greater use of ATC assistance etc etc. To many experienced IFR (airline/charter) pilots, these options are both obvious and logical. But to many IFR pilots (particularly private pilots who don't fly as regularly as airline/charter pilots) such options may not be as obvious BECAUSE THEY HAVN'T BEEN TRAINED TO THINK OF THEM in the first place.

Every year CASA runs Safety Seminars around Australia for pilots, which mainly focus on VFR flying aspects - and this is a good thing. However. to my knowledge, CASA have never run a seminar covering SPIFR ops to further educate the inexperienced (or experienced) SPIFR pilot on the latest trends or issues applicable to IFR flight safety, resource management or pilot health.

With the advent of SE/ME PIFR ratings in Oz, it can be expected that a lot more private pilots will be seeking IFR ratings and, if this is the case, then these pilots will certainly need to have more training and exposure to correct IFR risk management and decision making. In fact, I believe all SPIFR pilots could benefit from a solid grounding in effective risk management and decision making for IFR ops because I don't believe we have received the required training in the first place. I'm sure that there are many old and experienced IFR pilots who would be more than happy to share their experiences with other IFR pilots through a Safety Seminar and I, for one, would pay to learn from them.

Over to you, CASA!